This cannabis-optional, plant-based coconut "Arroz Con Leche" is a dairy-free twist on a Latin comfort food classic. Add some lemon and orange zest for an uplifting and aromatic citrus touch. This recipe is incredibly easy to make and always a hit! Thank you to Trulieve for sponsoring this post.
Why I love this recipe:
- Quick - 30 minutes prep time and 60 minutes cook time.
- Simple - you only need a few staple ingredients for this one!
- Naturally vegan and gluten-free. Perfect dairy-free dessert!
I grew up in a household where my Cuban grandmother would make Arroz con Leche from scratch as easily as making coffee first thing in the morning. For me, it was a regular after-school treat and for many of us in the Hispanic community, it is a comfort food classic.
Arroz Con Leche History
Arroz con Leche, or “Rice with Milk” is the Spanish version of Rice Pudding using both evaporated and condensed milk and boiling it to perfection. Did you know that Arroz con Leche is one of the oldest and most traditional desserts hailing from Spain? This traditional recipe was later adopted by many Hispanic countries throughout Latin America. However, the origin of this dessert comes from Moorish cuisine which influenced Spanish culture when the North African Muslims conquered the South of the Iberian Peninsula as far back as 711 A.D.
This traditional recipe is dear to my heart and will always remind me of my grandma. In honor of Latinx Heritage Month and in partnership with Trulieve, I’m sharing a quick and easy recipe for a completely vegan (yes, dairy-free!) cannabis-infused Coconut Arroz con Leche. Of course, cannabis oil or tincture is optional.
And yes, I totally understand that using “dairy-free” and “vegan” in the same line as Arroz con Leche is a bit contradictory but I have three words for you: coconut condensed milk! Remember, I'm a foodie first and I'll never steer you wrong! If you're curious about my plant-based journey, check out my story here.
Instead of using condensed cow milk to sweeten this rice pudding dessert, we are using unsweetened coconut milk and coconut condensed milk which are delicious alternatives for those following a plant-based diet or simply looking for a dairy-free alternative. Plus, the citrus zest and cinnamon pair for the perfect warm and creamy bite.
TRUST ME. This Coconut Arroz con Leche is still just as comforting, flavorful and sweet as I remember. You can’t go wrong with the coconut alternative. Abuela might even want seconds! Just make sure she has her medical-marijuana card before giving her this cannabis-infused recipe. 😉
Featured product in this recipe:
Trulieve TruNano Ratio 8:1 CBD:THC Tincture is made with Trulieve’s Nanoemulsion technology increasing both onset times and absorption rates, meaning patients will get faster relief using less product. The bioavailability of this product is over 90%. Nanoemulsion tincture droplets are completely water-soluble and can be easily mixed into any food or beverage. Trulieve is available for Florida medical marijuana patients at over 85 dispensaries statewide.
For this recipe, I used one dose per serving. Full product information here if you're into all that like me.
- Extracted from a 21% Cannabis Flower
- CBD per bottle: Approximately 28mg
- THC per bottle: Approximately 222mg
You can also add raisins to this recipe and use a variety of plant milks and other spices. Feel free to get creative with this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Cannabis-Infused Vegan Arroz con Leche
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice
- 1 ¾ cups Water
- 3 cups Unsweetened Lite Coconut Milk
- 11.25oz can Coconut Condensed Milk
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Orange Zest to Taste
- Lemon Zest to Taste
- Cinnamon Powder Garnish
- Cannabis Oil / Tincture (Optional - Personal Dosage Varies)
- In a small saucepan under medium heat, add the rice and 1 ¾cups water, then bring to a boil.
- Once the water has reached a boil, place a lid on the saucepan and reduce the heat to low allowing the rice to cook for approximately 12 minutes. Rice should be tender.
- After 12 minutes, turn the flame off and let the rice steam for 15 minutes. Once the rice has finished steaming, use a fork to fluff the rice.
- Pour the coconut milk and coconut condensed milk into the saucepan, then add the cinnamon stick and use a flexible rubber or silicone spatula to stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Turn your flame on to medium-low, and let it come to a simmer. Once it comes to a simmer, let it cook for 8-10 minutes until it starts to thicken. Stir occasionally to avoid the bottom from sticking.
- Remove your Arroz con Leche from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes to cool, the rice pudding will thicken as it cools. You can serve it warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon in colder weather or top with it a citrus zest and place in the fridge until it cools completely.