The best part about this vegan cheesecake is that it requires no baking whatsoever. All you need is time and a freezer! The cashews and coconut cream help create a thick cheesecake-like consistency, while the chopped walnuts taste almost like genuine graham-cracker crust. If you’ve been missing cheesecake as a new vegetarian or vegan, give this dessert a try!
The nuts, chia seeds, berries, and coconut combine to provide about 30 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of protein, and 19 grams of fat in every serving. This recipe yields about twelve slices of cake, at 297 calories each. It’s pretty healthy considering this is a delicious and decadent cake! You can fully enjoy every piece knowing that it’s made out of pure ingredients and little sugar.
Like most desserts, this cheesecake will take some time to prepare. It contains layers that need to be set properly before adding the next one, so be prepared to spend a day working on this cake. The cashews in the lemon layer need at least four hours by themselves just to soak (although it’s best to leave them overnight if you can). Don’t forget to take the cake out at least twenty minutes before serving so it can thaw up a bit!
This cheesecake is a gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing color, so it’s great in pictures! Please show me your artistic side and post photos of your cakes online--remember to tag me @jennyleeisme! Let us know in the comments whether you tried to make the cake and if you enjoyed it. Our community is always eager to hear from each other and come up with alternative ideas, so please share your experiences!
LEMON & BERRY CHEESECAKE
For the crust:
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (40g)
- 1 cup walnuts (100g), chopped
- 12 medjool dates pinch of salt
For the lemon layer:
- 2 cups cashews (230g), soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 1 cup coconut cream (240ml)
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil soft
- ½ cup maple syrup (120ml)
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon juice
- pinch of salt
For the berry layer:
- 1 cup red berries (150g), frozen
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place all the crust ingredients into a food processor and blitz until sticky paste forms. Transfer the crust into a cake tin or spring form pan and press evenly to form the bottom layer. Place the tin in the freezer while you make the other layers.
- Drain the cashews and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Place all the lemon layer ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Spread over the crust and return into the freezer.
- Prepare the last berry layer. Place all ingredients in the food processor and puree until smooth. Spread over the top of the cheesecake only when the lemon layer has set completely. Garnish with additional berries (optional). Return to the freezer and freeze until set.
- Remove the cheesecake from the freezer for about 20 minutes before serving.