For anyone embarking on a new diet journey, you’ll soon come to realize that sweet potatoes, kale, and quinoa are staples in any vegan or gluten-free cooking blog. These three ingredients are versatile and can be added to nearly any dish to increase your fiber, protein, and vitamin intake dramatically.
This meal is particularly suited for those working out and looking to lose weight. It’s low calorie but high fiber content, meaning you feel fuller for longer without having to overeat. You’ll get about 33 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat with every serving at 224 calories total. You can eat a massive bowl of this for lunch without negatively affecting your calorie count for the day!
You cook everything separately before combining it into a large bowl. When preparing the sweet potatoes, make sure you only use a little oil to coat them to avoid oversaturating them. It would be best to fluff up the quinoa with a fork after it cooks to prevent clumping.
Toss this salad together for a delicious, inexpensive, and effortless meal! Even though it requires little effort on your part, you’re still left with an exceptionally aesthetically pleasing meal--perfect for your Instagram page! Tag me @jennyleeisme in your posts so I can see how your salad turned out! Let us know down in the comments whether you tried something new and added different ingredients so we can try it out for ourselves, too. Remember--healthy eating doesn’t have to be bland and small portions!
ROASTED SWEET POTATO, KALE & QUINOA SALAD
- 2 medium sweet potatoes chopped into cubes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch curly kale de-stemmed and torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F(200°C).
- Place sweet potatoes in baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until tender. Then set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, cook quinoa according to instructions on the packaging. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile,heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Stir in the kale and continue cooking until wilted. Transfer the kale mixture to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once all the ingredients have cooled, add in the sweet potatoes and quinoa to the large bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and ground pepper. Stir to combine and serve.